I received a Philips SatinSoft Epilator to review. Why? Because I believe that epilation is a greener way to “defuzz”. You can keep using one for years and years if you look after it. You don’t throw away old blades constantly, and also no sticky wax strips for your skin (or the landfill!)
So let me give you a background about my hair type first: I have thick, long dark brown hair, so obviously my body hair is dark and grows extremely fast .If I shave my underarms in the morning, I’d have to shave again by evening (sorry if that sounds gross, but it is true!). Since Grade 5 (15 years ago) I have been looking for the perfect way to get rid of leg and underarm hair.
I tried shaving – works good, but have to keep doing it constantly! It also make my underarm skin red and bumpy)
waxing – works very well, but I hate the sticky mess, all the waste it creates, and because of the small red veins on my legs, it is not a perfectly safe option.
depilatory creams – it stinks, it removes only half the hair, and regrowth is almost the same as shaving. Need I say more?
vintage epilation – this is the first type of epilator I tried. It was my mom’s “contraption”, and I used it aged 11. It hurt like hell, and I was sure I would never try epilating again. Luckily technology has improved!
medieval torture device! The first type of epilator I ever tried. Yikes!
I have been epilating for just over a year now, and won’t be going back to the other hair-removing methods. With the Philips SatinSoft, my legs were definitely smoother after the first go, in comparison to the other brands.
What I like about the Philips SatinSoft Epilator 6519
The massage attachment also works by lifting the hairs which make it easier for the epilator to grab.
You can epilate short hair, so you don’t need to wait until you look like a cave woman before epilating.
The head can detach so that you can wash it under the tap. This works much better than just cleaning it with a brush like other brands.
It comes with a small attachment so you can epilate other areas like bikini and underarms (I have tried it, works like a charm!)
The cord is quite long (longer than other brands) which makes it much easier to use!)
It comes with an exfoliation brush
It is a bit noisier than some of the other brands
It is not battery operated, BUT it has quite a long cord, which helps a lot!
As you can see the PROS are MUCH MORE than the cons.
Helpful tips for ouch-free epilation:
- Make sure your skin is clean. Some people like epilating right after a bath or shower as the hairs come out easier, but I find that the hair is more prone to breakage if I epilate right after a hot bath. So I make sure my legs are clean and free from oils or creams, and epilate the next morning.
- Hair length: not too short, not too long. Unlike waxing, longer does not necessarily mean better. I found that if the hair is too long, it hurts a bit more. I think anything longer than 5mm, is too long. So just so you are sure about this: make sure your hair is not too long, it will hurt more!
- Exfoliate 24 hours before you epilate, as well as 24 hours after!
- Your skin will look red afterwards, so don’t worry! Just make sure you moisturise after epilation. And you may not want to epilate right before a big event.
- If this is your first time epilating, please note that your ankles and thighs are areas that are a bit more sensitive, so it may hurt a bit more than the rest!
- It will hurt, but it is SO worth it! Eventually you do get use to it. Please give it a try!
The Philips SatinSoft is priced at about R530 and is worth every cent. You will save so much money on blades, wax strips or trips to the salon!
So what is your opinion of epilating?